Department of English
Year of establishment : June 1964
Individual staff profile :
Prof .S. S. Hegde M.A., M.Phil.
Associate Professor & Principal
Registered for Ph.D.programme in 2008
- Title of the M.Phil dissertation is “Dr. Radhakrishnan as a Prose writer with special reference to his ‘idealist view of life’ and ‘ Hindu view of life’ ”
- Has attended a 10-day extended contact programme conducted by IGNOU.
- Was a member of JC club from 1982-1984.
- Has worked as I/C Principal of S.D.M. P.U. College Honnavar.
- Worked as SWO for the period of three years
- Participated in two days NAAC sponsored National seminar cum workshop on ‘Improving Quality of Teaching & Learning in the Classroom’ held on 22nd & 23rd March 2004 at M.G.M College, Udupi.
- Participated in the ‘Global Skills Enhancement Programme’ conducted by Progeon at Infosys Leadership Institute, Mysore from 11th to 30th April 2005.
- Participated in National seminar on ‘ Interrogating Folklore in Cultural Representation: Canada & Goa organized by Canadian Studies Programme & Dept. of English, Goa University held from 15th to 16th Nov. 2005
- Attended a state level Seminar entitled ‘Challenges of Higher Education’ organized by K.U. College Teachers’ Association Dharwad & J.S.S. College, Dharwad on 9th Dec. 2005.
- Participated in one day District level seminar on ‘English- Importance, Relevance, Teaching trends/ techniques’ organized by Govt. First Grade College, Yellapur on 23rd Jan.2006.
- Attended state level seminar on ‘Quality Assurance Mechanism in Collegiate Education’ organized by SDM College, Honavar on 18th &19th March, 2006.
- Participated in one day seminar on ‘Higher Education- A Review’ organized jointly by K.U.College Teachers’ Association Hubli & J.S.S. College, Dharwad held on 30th May 2006.
- Participated in three day workshop on ‘Personality Development & Communication Skills’ organized by Academy for Creative teaching, Bangalore on 4th to 6th Sept. 2006.
- Attended State Level Seminar on ‘Multilingual approach in the light of Globalization’ organized by Vivekananda College Puttur on 23rd &24th September, 2006.
- Participated three day workshop on ‘Teaching English to Rural Youth’ organized by Academy for Creative teaching, Bangalore on 24thto 26th Dec.2006.
- Attended National level seminar on ‘Quest for quality: Classroom Matters’organized by Dr. A.V.Baliga College of arts & science, Kumta on 5th &6th March 2007 and presented paper on “ Innovative Methods of teaching English at UG level.”
- Participated in two day National seminar on ‘Negotiating English: New Orientations’ organized by D.V.S. College of Arts & Science, Shimoga & Dept. of post graduate studies in English, Kuvempu University held on 11th & 12th March 2007.
- Attended National level seminar on ‘Teaching & learning English in India: the way ahead. Organized by Lingaraj College, Belgaum on 27th & 28th March 2008.
- Represented as organizing committee member of the Golden Jublee celebration, PG Dept. of studies in English & IACLALS International Conference held from 16th to 18th Feb. 2009 at K.U. Dharwad.
- Participated in International conference on ‘Translation & Postcolonialities’ organized by Dept. of studies in English K.U. Dharwad & Indian Association for Commonwealth Literature & language studies from 16th to 18th Feb. 2009.
- Participated in academic orientation course organized by Acadamic Staff College,K.U. Dharwad from 4th to 30th July 1988.
- Participated in two day National Seminar on 8th and 9th October 2010 and presented paper on Fine Balance by Rohintor minry “ Maaking the Marginalised speak”
Refresher & orientation courses attended:
- Attended refresher course in Lucknow University from 1st to 28th Sept.1988.
- Attended refresher course in Mysore University from 16th Oct. to 5th Nov.2000.
- Attended refresher course organized by the Academic Staff College, Goa University from 8th to 28th Nov. 2005.
Public relation/ social services:
- Member of Lions Club of Kumta since 2000 & worked as secretary of the Club during the Lionistic year 2004-05 & President during 2006-07.
- Presently, working as Secretary to the Federation of Principals & Managements in U.K District.
Shri. M. G. Hegde, M.A.M.Phil
- Worked as a stringer to The Indian Express.
- Has published articles in the news papers like Indian Express, Deccan Herald, Kannada Prabha, and Kannada Janantaranga, Prajavani.
- Has translated a kannada book into English “An Introduction to Kalki Dharma”.
- Has served as Rotarian.
- Working as retainer to Prajavani & Deccan Herald dailies.
- Participated & presented a paper in UGC sponsored National level seminar on ‘Emerging Trends in Tourism in the changing scenario’ organized by B.G.V.S. Arts & Commerce College, Sadashivgad Karwar on 16th & 17th March 2007.
- Participated and presented paper in National Seminar on English Craring and leaving “ at Dr.A.V. Baliga college Kumta
- Participated in MIMS- IMS teachers’ training programme at B.G.V.S. Arts & Commerce College, Sadashivgad Karwar on 3rd & 4th July 2007.
- Participated in the ‘Train the trainees program held under the aegis of the ‘Industry -Academic partnership’ conducted by Infosys BPO, at Infosys , Mysore from 22nd to 31st Octo.2007.
- Participated in Global Skill Enhancement Training Programme held at Infosys, Mysore from 14th to 18th July 2008.
- Participated in the Raja Rao birth centenary seminar conducted by Dr.A.V.Baliga college of Arts & Science, Kumta & Lingaraj College, Belgaum held at Kumta on 8th Nov. 2008.
- Participated & presented paper on “Autonomy self defeating contravene” in UGC sponsored National level seminar on ‘Challenges before Autonomous Colleges’ organized by S. D. M. College, Honavar on 2nd and 3rd Nov.2009.
- Undergone Orientation course in Banaras Hindu University from 4th June to 1st July 2010.
Miss K R Shreelata, M.A.,
2 years teaching experience
Shri Narasimha Gouda, M.A.,D.Ed.
1 year teaching experience
Miss Bhagyashri S Hegde, M.A.,
2 years teaching experience