Under Graduate Research centre – It was a dream of president of MPES, Dr. M P. Karki to start separate under graduate research center to provide invention opportunities to students at their early stages of life. He presented this unique idea to Karnataka State Government. Recognizing the merit of this program Karnataka State Government provided Rs.50 Lakh to build this R&D center at the SDM College, Honavar campus.
Hence Malnad Progressive Education Society (MPES) established one of the first Undergraduate Research Center(UGRC) in the Karnataka state to provide research and innovation opportunities to undergraduate students.
The team of SDM college, Honavar along with Dr. Shrikanth Hegde GGGRI, Kumta held meeting with “Bharata Ratna” Dr. C N R Rao and team of his scientists and discussed UGRC,s Research programs and ambitions. They provided us research fund of Rs.30 Lakh from VISION group to start research activities at UGRC Honavar.
Further recognizing the uniqueness and importance of this research training program Karnataka state knowledge commission awarded research grant of Rs.25 Lakh to carry out project entitled “Preparing students for research, pilot studies on environmental pollutions in the Konkan Belt”. Dr. Shrikanth Hegde is acting as a research co-ordinator of UGRC and also as a principle Investigator of the KJA project. Professor P.M.Honavar, head of the Dept of Chemistry, SDM College, Honavar is acting as a co-investigator in the KJA project. Lecturers of SDM college, Shri Manjunath Hegde and Shri Shridhar Hebbar are mentoring students in research activities. Shri Ganapati Bhat is working as a research scientist in the KJA project.
MPES has established R&D collaboration with nearby research center, Green Gold Global Research Institute Kumta and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
The Institute has also developed a youtube channel for the students. To view the Youtube channel “MPEedu”, click: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJSalUChmSJcfAXmP5Hp5Q )
Dr. Shivaram S. Shastri
Date of Joining: 16-10-2017
Contact No.: 9483177050
DEGREE COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY YEAR SUBJECT/S
PhD AIIMS, New Delhi 1999-2005
MSc Karnatak University. Dharawad 1993-1995 Biochemistry
BSc S.D.M. College, Honnavar 1990-1993 Chemistry
TITLE OF PHD THESIS:
Molecular genetic studies in Indian patients with cystic fibrosis
Previous experience: (Names of the Organization, Period of Service, Designation, Nature of Duties Performed)
All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi, November 2012 to July 2016, Scientist (contract basis), Involved in research and diagnostics (molecular genetics)
AIIMS, March 2010, November 2012, Scientist in DBT capacity building research project Involved in research and diagnostics (molecular genetics)
AIIMS, October 2009 to March 2010, Senior Research Fellow, ICMR funded project
AIIMS, April 2006 to March 2009, Research Associate, Molecular genetic studies in cystic fibrosis
AIIMS, September 2004 to March 2006, Senior Research Fellow, ICMR project “Role of CFTR and PRSS1 mutations in tropical pancreatitis” Carried out identification of the common mutations and SSCP for rare and unknown mutations.
AIIMS, December 2000 to December 2003
AIIMS. February 1999 to November 2000
AIIMS, February 1998 to January 1999 Laboratory technician in the Indo-US project ‘Nonsyndromic hereditary hearing impairment – gene mapping’ Identification, sampling of suitable families for gene mapping and DNA extraction.
Bangalore Assisted Conception Centre, March 1996 to February 1998, Biochemist. In-charge of hormonal assays by chemiluminescence assays.
1. Genetic polymorphisms associated with obesity and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in Asian Indian adolescents.Jain V, Kumar A, Ahmad N, Jana M, Kalaivani M, Kumar B, Shastri S, Jain O, Kabra M. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2019 Jul 26;32(7):749-758. doi: 10.1515/jpem-2018-0543.PMID: 31216264
2. Aquagenic Wrinkling of Skin: A Screening Test for Cystic Fibrosis.Singh A, Lodha R, Shastri S, Sethuraman G, Sreedevi KN, Kabra M, Kabra SK. Indian Pediatr. 2019 Feb 15;56(2):109-113.PMID: 30819988
3. Spectrum of GJB2 gene variants in Indian children with non-syndromic hearing loss. Singh PK, Sharma S, Ghosh M, Shastri SS, Gupta N, Kabra M. Indian J Med Res. 2018 Jun;147(6):615-618. doi: 10.4103/ijmr.IJMR_76_16.PMID: 30168495
4. Identification of a novel homozygous mutation in transmembrane channel like 1 (TMC1) gene, one of the second-tier hearing loss genes after GJB2 in India.Singh PK, Ghosh M, Sharma S, Shastri S, Gupta N, Chowdhury MR, Anand A, Kabra M. Indian J Med Res. 2017 Apr;145(4):492-497. doi: 10.4103/ijmr.IJMR_397_15.PMID: 28862181Free PMC article.
5. Do polymorphisms in MDR1 and CYP3A5 genes influence the risk of cytogenetic relapse in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia on imatinib therapy?Harivenkatesh N, Kumar L, Bakhshi S, Sharma A, Kabra M, Velpandian T, Gogia A, Shastri SS, Gupta YK. Leuk Lymphoma. 2017 Sep;58(9):1-9. doi: 10.1080/10428194.2017.1287359. Epub 2017 Apr 3.PMID: 28367681
6. Influence of MDR1 and CYP3A5 genetic polymorphisms on trough levels and therapeutic response of imatinib in newly diagnosed patients with chronic myeloid leukemia.Harivenkatesh N, Kumar L, Bakhshi S, Sharma A, Kabra M, Velpandian T, Gogia A, Shastri SS, Biswas NR, Gupta YK. Pharmacol Res. 2017 Jun;120:138-145. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2017.03.011. Epub 2017 Mar 19.PMID: 28330783
7. Nasopharyngeal teratoma, congenital diaphragmatic hernia and Dandy-Walker malformation – a yet uncharacterized syndrome.Gupta N, Shastri S, Singh PK, Jana M, Mridha A, Verma G, Kabra M. Clin Genet. 2016 Nov;90(5):470-471. doi: 10.1111/cge.12830. Epub 2016 Aug 10.PMID: 27506516
8. ADRB2 Polymorphism and Salbutamol Responsiveness in Northern Indian Children with Mild to Moderate Exacerbation of Asthma.Sahi PK, Shastri S, Lodha R, Gupta N, Pandey RM, Kabra SK, Kabra M.Indian Pediatr. 2016 Mar;53(3):211-5. doi: 10.1007/s13312-016-0822-3.PMID: 27029682
9. Zinc Supplementation for One Year Among Children with Cystic Fibrosis Does Not Decrease Pulmonary Infection.Sharma G, Lodha R, Shastri S, Saini S, Kapil A, Singla M, Mukherjee A, Jat KR, Kabra M, Kabra SK. Respir Care. 2016 Jan;61(1):78-84. doi: 10.4187/respcare.04038. Epub 2015 Oct 6.PMID: 26443019Clinical Trial.
10. Erratum to: Glutaric Acidemia Type 1-Clinico-Molecular Profile and Novel Mutations in GCDH Gene in Indian Patients.Gupta N, Singh PK, Kumar M, Shastri S, Gulati S, Kumar A, Agarwala A, Kapoor S, Nair M, Sapra S, Dubey S, Singh A, Kaur P, Kabra M. JIMD Rep. 2015;21:129. doi: 10.1007/8904_2015_448. Epub 2015 May 27.PMID: 26013749
11. Glutaric Acidemia Type 1-Clinico-Molecular Profile and Novel Mutations in GCDH Gene in Indian Patients.Gupta N, Singh PK, Kumar M, Shastri S, Gulati S, Kumar A, Agarwala A, Kapoor S, Nair M, Sapra S, Dubey S, Singh A, Kaur P, Kabra M. JIMD Rep. 2015;21:45-55. doi: 10.1007/8904_2014_377. Epub 2015 Mar 12.PMID: 25762492
12. Prevalence of UGT1A6 polymorphisms in children with epilepsy on valproate monotherapy.Jain P, Shastri S, Gulati S, Kaleekal T, Kabra M, Gupta N, Gupta YK, Pandey RM. Neurol India. 2015 Jan-Feb;63(1):35-9. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.152631.PMID: 25751467
13. Clinical and mutation profile of children with cystic fibrosis in Jammu and Kashmir.Kawoosa MS, Bhat MA, Ali SW, Hafeez I, Shastri S. Indian Pediatr. 2014 Mar;51(3):185-9. doi: 10.1007/s13312-014-0381-4. Epub 2013 Sep 5.PMID: 24277965
14. Norrie disease: first mutation report and prenatal diagnosis in an Indian family.Ghosh M, Sharma S, Shastri S, Arora S, Shukla R, Gupta N, Deka D, Kabra M. Indian J Pediatr. 2012 Nov;79(11):1529-31. doi: 10.1007/s12098-012-0788-7. Epub 2012 Jun 7.PMID: 22674248
15. Association of Angiotensin-converting enzyme insertion(I)/deletion (D) genotype in Alzheimer’s disease patients of north Indian population.Nirmal S, Tripathi M, Shastri SS, Sagar R, S V. Int J Neurosci. 2011 Oct;121(10):557-61. doi: 10.3109/00207454.2011.591513. Epub 2011 Jul 19.PMID: 21770707
16. Idiopathic chronic pancreatitis in India: phenotypic characterisation and strong genetic susceptibility due to SPINK1 and CFTR gene mutations.Midha S, Khajuria R, Shastri S, Kabra M, Garg PK. Gut. 2010 Jun;59(6):800-7. doi: 10.1136/gut.2009.191239.PMID: 20551465
17. Long-term daily high and low doses of azithromycin in children with cystic fibrosis: a randomized controlled trial.Kabra SK, Pawaiya R, Lodha R, Kapil A, Kabra M, Vani AS, Agarwal G, Shastri SS. J Cyst Fibros. 2010 Jan;9(1):17-23. doi: 10.1016/j.jcf.2009.09.001. Epub 2009 Oct 8.PMID: 19818694Clinical Trial.
18. Association of SPINK1 gene mutation and CFTR gene polymorphisms in patients with pancreas divisum presenting with idiopathic pancreatitis.Garg PK, Khajuria R, Kabra M, Shastri SS. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2009 Oct;43(9):848-52. doi: 10.1097/MCG.0b013e3181a4e772.PMID: 19593166
19. Cystic fibrosis in India.Kabra SK, Kabra M, Lodha R, Shastri S. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2007 Dec;42(12):1087-94. doi: 10.1002/ppul.20677.PMID: 17968991 Review.
20. Characterisation of mutations and genotype-phenotype correlation in cystic fibrosis: experience from India.Shastri SS, Kabra M, Kabra SK, Pandey RM, Menon PS. J Cyst Fibros. 2008 Mar;7(2):110-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jcf.2007.06.004. Epub 2007 Aug 22.PMID: 17716958
21. Diagnosing and managing cystic fibrosis in the developing world.Kabra SK, Kabra M, Shastri S, Lodha R.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2006;7 Suppl 1:S147-50. doi: 10.1016/j.prrv.2006.04.218. Epub 2006 Jun 6.PMID: 16798545Review.
22. Carrier frequency of F508del mutation of cystic fibrosis in Indian population.Kapoor V, Shastri SS, Kabra M, Kabra SK, Ramachandran V, Arora S, Balakrishnan P, Deorari AK, Paul VK. J Cyst Fibros. 2006 Jan;5(1):43-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jcf.2005.10.002. Epub 2005 Nov 28.PMID: 16311077
23. Clinical profile and frequency of delta f508 mutation in Indian children with cystic fibrosis.Kabra SK, Kabra M, Lodha R, Shastri S, Ghosh M, Pandey RM, Kapil A, Aggarwal G, Kapoor V. Indian Pediatr. 2003 Jul;40(7):612-9.PMID: 12881616
24. Screening of families with autosomal recessive non-syndromic hearing impairment (ARNSHI) for mutations in GJB2 gene: Indian scenario.Maheshwari M, Vijaya R, Ghosh M, Shastri S, Kabra M, Menon PS. Am J Med Genet A. 2003 Jul 15;120A(2):180-4. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.20014.PMID: 12833397
25. An indigenously developed method for sweat collection and estimation of chloride for diagnosis of cystic fibrosis.Kabra SK, Kabra M, Gera S, Lodha R, Sreedevi KN, Chacko S, Mathew J, Shastri S, Ghosh M. Indian Pediatr. 2002 Nov;39(11):1039-43.PMID: 12466575
26. Prenatal diagnosis of haemoglobinopathies.Arora S, Kabra M, Maheshwari M, Shastri S, Kaur D, Deka D, Kriplani A, Menon PS. Natl Med J India. 2001 Nov-Dec;14(6):340-2.PMID: 11804364
27. Prenatal diagnosis of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.Maheshwari M, Vijaya R, Kabra M, Arora S, Shastri SS, Deka D, Kriplani A, Menon PS. Natl Med J India. 2000 May-Jun;13(3):129-31.PMID: 11558111
DNA isolation, PCR and agarose/polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, Single strand conformation analysis (SSCP), Conformation sensitive gel electrophoresis (CSGE), Denaturing high performance liquid chromatography (DHPLC), High resolution melting curve analysis (HRMCA), Multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification (MLPA), DNA sequencing etc.
OTHERS: Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), Chemiluminescence hormonal assay etc.
Three weeks’ training received at the Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Institute of Biology and Medical Genetics, Prague, Czech Republic under Professor Milan Macek Jr., from 10th May 2008 to 1st June, 2008. Fellowship from EuroGentest.
EXPERIENCE AS A RESOURCE SCIENTIST
Worked as a resource person in the following workshops sponsored by Department of Biotechnology, Government of India
23rd July to 11th August 2007: 4th DBT hands-on training workshop on Methods in Clinical diagnosis: Cytogenetics, biochemical, molecular, and bioinformatics approaches Centre for Genomics, School of Studies in Zoology, Jiwaji University, Gwalior
17th to 26th April 2006: Clinical Genetics Workshop, conducted in AIIMS
16th to 30th September 2005:4th Workshop on Prenatal and Postnatal Diagnosis of Genetic disorders Using Molecular Methods, conducted in AIIMS
17th to 31st January 2005: Diagnosis of Genetic Disorders Using Cytogenetic and Molecular Genetic techniques, conducted in AIIMS
16th to 30th March 2004: 3rd Workshop on Prenatal and Postnatal Diagnosis of Genetic disorders Using Molecular Methods, conducted in AIIMS
28th February to 16th March 2003: 2nd Workshop on Prenatal and Postnatal Diagnosis of Genetic disorders Using Molecular Methods conducted in AIIMS
AWARDS AND PRIZES
1) Research associate fellowship (2006-2009) from Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India
2) Young scientist award (2005) in the 30th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Human Genetics (ISHG) held at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, India.
3) Second prize (2006) in the Genetics category of 8th National Conference of Indian Society for Prenatal Diagnosis and Therapy (ISPAT) for presentation held at the India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, India